I was in the middle of a nice sleep. Blech… blech…Murphy! Not discerning, Murphy throws up wherever he happens to be, so there was a nice pile on the landing upstairs. I ran down the stairs and opened the front door. He followed at his own speed. So at 3.30 I was scrubbing the carpet at the top of the stairs, half way down the stairs and on the mat by the front door (in two places – it is a large Mat) the whole time B was snoring for England. I asked him nicely to turn over and shut up. He told me he “was asleep’ in a somewhat strange Birmingham accent, I calmly told him the whole blooming street know he is asleep!
I have been knitting some scarves, just to reacquaint myself with the machine. I rediscovered knitting on the bias – it’s wonderful when you do it on purpose. See the shaped edges on the ends of the scarves, no shaping was needed, no increasing, no decreasing, simply straight knitting. But, when you do all the lace transfers in the same direction, the piece naturally wanders off at an angle. Happy dance 🙂
My ‘something new’this week was pin weaving. I used a simple block with nails hammered around the outside to make my woven square. I need to work on the tension and make 100 more…
I am back to having three spinning wheels, the beautiful Bliss went to a new home. Not because I didn’t like it, l loved it, but..I ran out of space and had to keep moving it to reach stuff. It wouldn’t be long before I fell over it so made a wise decision.
So I have my Fantasia, fab for plying. Little Victoria for taking out and about and the Louet s10c for everyday spinning. Perfect set up.
Hello to my Christmas present, an Ashford 4 shaft table loom, bought used but the bonus was that I didn’t have to build it. I am watching videos and reading books so hopefully by Christmas, I will be brave enough to warp it.
So, the knitting machine was under the bed for fifteen years. A couple of months ago I got it out, cleaned and oiled it. A few weeks ago I checked and sorted my hoard of yarn. On Saturday I had a little play to see if I could still knit, and the information I thought long gone popped back into my brain.
On Sunday I re-learned how to unpick! But yesterday I finished and washed my scarf, today I blocked it. I could do better but I am happy. It may need another press.
Lambswool/Angora/nylon, one strand, knit at T5. 800 knit rows, 2400 passes of the carriages. Light and fluffy.
Kizzie Whizz had a sore ear. Red and swollen and definately in need of a vets visit. Anti inflamatories and ear drops came home with us. The vet warned us that she might be hungrier than usual! How on earth would we know – she is always hungry. Actually hungry enough to steal not quite empty food containers. Sigh. Worst thing is, we had to stop laughing long enough to put on the cross face and tell her off.
I really did groom her yesterday, no evidence of that today though.
Not to be left out in the cuteness factor, here’s my boy. I groomed him too. Sigh.
Merino, 100gms, 260 metres, 2 ply. Fibres put through drum carder (x2)to make batts (2), didn’t like spinning from the batt, so put it on the blending board and pulled off 20 rolags. This spun up ok, but the colours are more blended together than I like.
This time I put the fibres through the drum carder just once, then put the batts onto the blending board. This was easy on my hand whilst retaining the colours nicely. This one is four colours of Shetland top.
Took hours though …
Wahoo! I washed the fleece, I combed it and I DIZZED all by myself. Very pleased with myself, just need to do the rest…..
So I am vaguely aware of Murphy giving two single woofs one night. Not loud enough to get me up but the “shut up Murph” yelled at the top of his voice did wake me! I got up and let the hooligans out, they did number ones and two’s. I tol him he was a good boy for telling me he needed to go out.
Following morning at ‘it’s not quite time to get up yet’ Murphy gently climbed on the bed, snuggled up to me and vey quietly, woofed in my ear. Just once. Yes, I did get up and give him his breakfast 😍😍😍
I needed bobbins so plied everything I had spun. The four small hanks were plied from a centre pull ball. Left overs from plying full bobbins.
I decided I needed something a bit brighter so made some batts using the drum carder. I am not very good at spinning from batt, so I put them on the blending board and made rolags. The colours are more blended than usual but these are spinning up a treat. Using the Louet s10c and am liking it.
Mostly Merino, rolags made on the blending board. 125gms 360 metres. Spun on the Kromski Fantasia.